I know, I know - rewind to Columbine and the long-standing argument about the role the game "Doom" played in that heinous event. I won't side with those who argued the game was to blame, it takes more than a few hours of simulated shooting to cause a national tragedy like that. I will, however, argue that the current teenage population, specifically the girls, aren't given many options for whom they look to to define "cool."
This isn't a new subject, just a recurring one that surfaced to me recently. Given the few non-country radio stations I am able to choose from, I find myself listening to the "pop" stations. It's a pretty dim outlook for people like myself who commute often and are tortured with Rhi-Kesha-Perry redundancy. Anyway, frequently a song called "S&M" is playing and although I can't say it's my personal favorite, apparently it is for the 13 year-olds that call in to request it.
What's more bothersome is that people like Rhihanna (if that's even how you spell it), know who their target audiences are; the teenage girls (say what you want Rhi Rhi, but you have no "hip-hop" or "rap" resemblance in your music). These girls love songs about S&M. These 13 year old girls, who you are making music for - and you choose S&M.
Not only are these girls watching shows like "Skins" that justify doing obscene things (and yes, this is a first, if only because of the age of the people on the show), but they are overly-exposed to people like Lindsay Lohan and Kesha and now even their music lacks any kind of resemblance to substance in addition to promoting sadism and masochism.
Good job guys, you are really setting out to re-corrupt an already filth-saturated generation. I mean, come on, it is possible to at least educate while appearing cool - see Billy Joel, "We didn't start the fire."
No comments:
Post a Comment